This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK

 Jewish Street in Bratislava

 

The history of Jewish people in Bratislava began in 13th century. Once their presence was regulated by the charter granted, but later the Jews were expelled from Bratislava few times.


The history of Jewish people in Bratislava began in 13th century. Once their presence was regulated by the charter granted, but later the Jews were expelled from Bratislava few times. In the 18th century, Jews living in the Schlossberg were allowed to settle area outside the city, between the castle hill and the town fortifications. The created area was called Jewish Street (Judengasse). Jewish people living there were given protection from the counts Palfyy. Only in this place Jews could legally live until 1840. Unfortunately, in 1960’s original Jewish buildings in the Jewish Street, which had remained the war, were destroyed and the New Bridge was constructed there. Only two buildings remain until now, the Good Shepherd’s House and the mansion of the Zsigray Family. The Good Shepherd’s House was turned into Museum of Clocks and the Zsigray’s mansion serves as the Museum of Jewish Culture.





« back